08 August 2011

Commission Work!!

Dear daughter ask me to make a baby shower gift. Oh my, I am so past baby sewing. But...ah, ha! I had a piece of  baby-print flannel that I had tried, unsuccessfully to hand off to friends. My good fortune - it's blue and the  recipient to be is a boy.  My standard baby gift is a large receiving blanket, flannel without batting. A personalized embroidery in the corner and voila' a practical and cute baby gift.

Then I thought...those  baby burp cloths made from pre-fold diapers are so nice.. Why not make a couple of those as well. (Yeah...well that's the trouble with thinking. Simple things can end up not so simple. First I bought the wrong diapers, back to the box store. Actually the diaper quality wasn't that great but...whatever. I'm on a mission!


Embroidery Library has a great little  tutorial on making the burp cloths. No problem. Oops  --  a trip to the fabric store for the flannel backing and a tad more for embellishment. (And oh, wow...our 35th Ave store has moved and oh, wow!) Several hours later and a a few buck lighter, I am back home on the job.


I customize the embroideries, hunt up the polyester threads (bleach resistant) and find the right  stabilizer. Almost finished...only a few glitches.   And then...tah, dah, sweet daughter says..."Oh, Mom I hope his name is on the burp pads too. I want everyone to know they are handmade!"  Oops.....no name on the pads.
 Okey dokey, I reverse sew a bit while I watch a few more re-runs of  NCIS. And now we're done! Whew.


Baby boy Cooper, I hope you like these! 
And honestly, I did enjoy the process and the final product.






2 comments:

sewnews said...

Very nice you do good work!

Noreen said...

They are fabulous. That new Mom is gonna love 'em! Your daughter will be a star at that baby shower!