07 January 2011

A Clean Slate 2011

Finally - I got my new ironing board cover!
If only it would stay this clean!

I have waited for months for this cover. Evidently my board is an unusual size. The manufacturer stopped making covers right after I bought the board.
 Drats, my bad luck! I got a new cover many  years ago at our local Sewing/Quilting/Crafting Festival. Well...many mistakes later it was way shabby!

The cute,  little, old fellow in that festival booth, Mr. Aubry Foster, stole my heart. He owns Golden Hand Industries, Inc. in Atlanta, GA. And he has a charming southern accent as well. I think Mr Aubrey is the only employee. He has cover sewers somewhere in his town. Poor guy gets overwhelmed after selling at big quilt shows! It took several phone calls but - well worth the wait.


The bag below is made from a large men's sweatshirt. This cool idea came from from a local ASG Workshop.The presenter was Mary Mulari, who  is a master at re-newing/recycling old sweatshirts!


 The bag is for Liana, my goddaughter, a Kappa Alpha Theta girl at LMU.


The  bottom of the sweatshirt is the top of the bag.  I put 1 1/2" darts at the corner areas to shape it a bit. I sewed in stay tape across the bottom for some stability. Straps were cut from the sleeve.




OMG what a doll.

Because the Greek letters were appliquéd to a base, I shadow quilted around the letters to make them pop a little more.

I'm very pleased but most importantly, Liana is thrilled! Yeah!

1 comment:

Noreen said...

OMG you really are soooo creative! What a special gift and totally "green". All from a very cool God Mother!