23 January 2011

Wild life in the burbs!

2006 Backyard












2007 Backyard


We don't live in Longhorn Ranch, Sunburst Farms or the Swift's horsey compound - just an ordinary neighborhood. Still we have a lot of backyard birds except when our annual, guest arrives!

Taken from the kitchen-window  December 2010


Our hawks arrive around Halloween and leave in mid-April. This year we've had our friend the  Sharp-shinned Hawk and a pair of small black hawks. I like them all.




I couldn't get a picture him on the last two visits. But after he feasts I can record what remains. Honestly it is a pretty arty arrangement of feathers left over! (If you are squeamish, don't look too closely at the second picture.) 

1-17-11
1-18-11

Everybody has to eat.
But wait there's more in my neighborhood.....This morning around 7 am....I glanced across the street to Ed's house and saw a coyote eating his breakfast.  OMG, a  quick look with the binoculars revealed a batch of rusty colored feathers!


The photographers got pretty good pictures, even in low light.



The rest of the story: the coyote finally got spooked, dropped the chicken and took off. Amazingly 5 minutes later he returned and took his breakfast down the street somewhere.






... what was left a bunch of feathers and .......






Eddie has plans for this very fresh egg.
 Ummmm.....better ask him about it.

5 comments:

sewnews said...

OMG where did that coyote come from

Sissie said...

I keep wondering where the heck Mr Coyote lives? I am pretty sure where the chicken lived - seen him in the street before. Dumb cluck!

quilteddogs said...

Holy Moly. It looks like you reside in the wilds of someplace. That looks like a pretty healthy coyote. I saw one on my street awhile ago and I live smack dab in the center of Phoenix

Sissie said...

He was pretty healthy looking. But there is a couple of mini-farms nearby. ;-0

Janna said...

Wish I was there to see it!