22 October 2008

Sewing Experiments

I tried out two new patterns recently. Both have a shirred bodice. I used Christine Jonson's Shirred Top #426. The gauzy fabric came from our RuMage sale held at the annual sewing retreat . Needless to say the price was a steal. The fabric is very stretchy but only in one direction which may have effected my results. The bodice is lined which sent me out scrambling for an additional fabric since I had absolutey no left over scraps. I'm not fully satisfied with the results. Actually it fits well but I'm not very comfortable in a boat neck. Next I will try the Princess Wrap style which is in the same CJ pattern.
This green patterned dress is Butterick 4914. A friend made this pattern up at our summer sewing retreat. I fell in love with it. I ordered my fabric from Fabric.com. It made up quickly and only required a tiny adjustment. My friend Carole said it looked good on me so I wore it to our American Sewing Guild (ASG) Chapter's Annual Meeting. I got several compliments which made me happy. I rarely wear a dress anymore so it's on loan to the DD (dear daughter) to see what she thinks. Girl friend, Beverly sent me a note to say I was on the cutting edge with the shirred-at-the-waist style because she spotted nearly the exact same dress style in Eddie Bauer's Christmas Catalog. Wow - that made me feel great. Do you see a "theme" running through this blog? Yep, sewing frends are the very best!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Ru Mage fabric. It would look great with a drapey shell necklace, to pop against the print. Tres stylish

Sissie said...

Ahhh, Suzy you are so cutting edge! Yes!

Anonymous said...

Guess who has the dress now?? Thanks Mom!